Mobile Patrols Overview
This section covers how to use Mobile Patrols in PointMan. The Mobile Patrols functions within PointMan allow Patrollers to record pipeline patrol routes for Patrol Report purposes, view positions and progress during the patrol in a moving map display, capture and report Observations made during a patrol, and account for Missing Sections (gaps) in the Patrol.
The Patrols system in PointMan requires specific items to be set up and configured in TransparentEarth first.
In Transparent Earth
- ROW Segment Polygons must be uploaded (ProStar Service).
- ROW Segment Patrollers and their Supervisors must be assigned to each ROW Segment in the ROW Segment Manager).
- Responsibility Areas must be created, and Responders and their Supervisors assigned to each Responsibility Area (using the Responsibility Area Management tool).
This set up and configuration enables Patrollers to patrol their assigned Regions and segments, identify any patrol gaps, and create Observations. In addition, when creating Observations, the system will enable the Patroller to immediately call the proper personnel if necessary, or to send out an automatic Observation Notification email upon completion of the Patrol.
All information captured in the Mobile Patrols dialogs is available in the Patrols module within TransparentEarth upon Save. User is warned if they are offline, that data is not saved to TransparentEarth until they go back online.
Additionally, Observations created in PointMan will trigger the following Notifications:
- When an Observation is created and saved, an email will be sent to all Supervisors and Responders assigned to that Responsibility Area.
The workflow for completing the Patrols process is as follows:
- Start the Patrol.
- Travel the Patrol route.
- Pause PointMan whenever the Patrol Route is not visible or actually able to be Patrolled.
- Resume PointMan whenever the Patrol Route is visible and patrol-able.
- Create Observations when applicable.
- End the Patrol and save the record.
Topics that will walk users through the Mobile Patrol Workflow:
- Complete Patrol Workflow (link) Describes the entire Mobile Patrol workflow from Start, to Missing Sections, to Observations, to Stop.
- Quick Reference: Create a Patrol (link)
- Quick Reference: Create a Missing Section (link)
- Quick Reference: Create an Observation (link)
Patrol Troubleshooting and Patrol Requirements
- Current location must be inside a Region Segment polygon.
- Current location must be inside at least one Area of Responsibility polygon.
- Current location must be near mile\km markers (i.e. the pipeline).
- A ROW Segment patrol area is inside it's polygon and between the min and max mile markers in that polygon, following the mile markers.
- A ROW Segment is considered as part of the patrol if any part of the patrol path crosses in to it's polygon.
- A gap is defined as any place along the patrol area where the patrol path does not cover 400 meters or a quarter mile of the route. If the patrol does not have part of it's path within a quarter mile of the min or max markers you will have a gap and thus a partial patrol. You may want to zoom in and also note you are not using gps like the customer actually will be.
- Gaps consist of two points, one marking the start mile marker of the gap and a second
- marking the end mile marker of the gap. If you have a gap that covers the entire length of a ROW Segment it will be a straight line between the two points, which will not trace the path of the pipeline assuming it bends between those points.
- If your patrol path does not come within 400 meters of the min and max markers you will have a gap. If you have a gap your patrol is partial.
- If your patrol path crosses in to a second ROW Segment, that segment is now part of the patrol. It will be marked as partial and gaps calculated if you do not complete that ROW Segment.
Related Observation Requirements
- An Observation must be assigned an Observation Notification polygon area.
- An Observation requires at least one responsible party.
- An Observation must belong to a mile/km marker on the pipeline.
For additional information about Patrols Master Data, please see the following Business
Requirement Document: BRD PAT 001 Patrols Master Data Load Specifications V1.0.
|Issue Description||Issue Reason||Resolution|
|Creating an Observation in PointMan, but not seeing the expected names in the Contact list (Phone or Email lists).||The expected names are not assigned to the Responsibility Area as a Supervisor or a Responder.||Log into TE. Open the applicable Responsibility Area. Click the Assignments tab. Add the applicable personnel to the Assignments list.|
|Getting the following error message when trying to create an Observation in PointMan: "Failed to create a new observation. No Contacts were found at this location."||There are NO names assigned to the Responsibility Area as a Supervisor or a Responder.||Log into TE. Open the applicable Responsibility Area. Click the Assignments tab. Add the applicable personnel to the Assignments list.|
|Getting the following message when trying to save a Patrol Report in PointMan: "WARNING: This patrol does not cover any region segments, continue?"||User is not currently within the Patrol Segment polygon boundary.||Physically move closer into the buffer around the asset being patrolled. Or, click OK and the Patrol will be saved. However, it will not be related any specific Segment.|
|Expected personnel are not receiving emails listing out all Patrol Segments that have not been patrolled in the last 18 days.||The expected names are not assigned to the Segment as listed in the ROW Segment Manager.||Log into TE. Go to: Administration > ROW Segment Manager. Locate the applicable Region, then Segment. Right-click the Segment Name. Click: Edit Users. Select the applicable name from the list. Click Save and close.|
|Expected personnel are not receiving email notifications regarding Open Observations in need of resolution.||The expected names are not assigned to the Responsibility Area as a Supervisor or a Responder.||Log into TE. Open the applicable Responsibility Area. Click the Assignments tab. Add the applicable personnel to the Assignments list.|
|Getting the following error message when trying to create an Observation in PointMan: "Failed to create new observation. No region segments were found at this location."||There is no Segment Polygon created for this Segment, or for the area in which the Patroller is currently located.||Make sure that the ROW Segment is listed in the ROW Segment Manager (in TransparentEarth). Contact the ProStar Services team to validate that the ROW Segment Polygon has been set up and configured in the system. Create a Responsibility Area, related to the PLM Service Polygon. Assign the applicable personnel to the Area of Responsibility. Re-patrol the area.|
|Cannot save a patrol because of missing mile/km markers||Contact ProStar Services team to validate the Patrol Segment Polygon and related mile/km marker information as it exists in TransparentEarth.|
|Upon End/Save of a Patrol Report in PointMan, the status message bounces between: "Calculating Patrol Coverage" and "Saving Patrol Coverage".||The ROW Segment Polygon and the Observation Responsibility Area Polygon do not exist.||Master data issue. Contact the ProStar Services team to validate that the ROW Segment Polygon has been set up and configured in the system.|