- From within TransparentEarth, turn on the PointMan Polygons Layer:
a. Open the Layers Control panel.
b. Click Field Data Collection.
c.Select the check box for PointMan Polygons. Any existing polygons that have already been created will display. If no polygons have already been created in TE or PM, selecting this layer will enable you to see the new polygons you create.
- Zoom into the area of interest (the area in which you want to create a polygon).
- Click the Activate PointMan icon.
- The PointMan toolset icons display in the upper left corner of the map.
Three (3) icons display:
PointMan Selection Mode:
Allows users to select a feature (point, line, polygon, eForm) on the map and open the Selection panel, which in turn enables the Drop Tools panel which allows users to group features into a single related Folder.
PointMan New Mode:
Allows users to create new features (points, lines, polygons, eForms) on themap.
View Pedigree Information:
Allows users to view location details for points, lines, polygons, and eFormscreated using some form of GPS services (GPS device, or Location Services onthe tablet).
Creating a Polygon
- Click the PointMan New Mode icon.
- Click on the map at the specific point you want start your new polygon.
The New Place Mark dialog box displays.
- Select the applicable System from the drop-down list.
Each system automatically has a color code associated with it so that when the object is logged, it displays in the correct color designation.
The 'System' drop down filters are a list of available components that are appropriate for that particular system.
Be mindful of the System you select. You will need to select a System that has the "polygon or area" type of Components available to it.
- Select the applicable Component from the drop-down list: Area, Area of Concern, or Polygon (must be one of the POLYGON type options).
- Click OK.
A white-circle is placed on the map at the location you selected (clicked), and your cursor remains a cross +. Also, you should see the following menu items at the lower right of your screen: Save, Add, Next, Delete, Cancel.
- Click on the map at the second point in your polygon.
A blue line will display between your first point and your second point.
- Click on the map at the third point in your polygon.
A blue line will display between your second point and your third point. In addition, the polygon will be "closed" in that there will also be a line drawn between your first point and your last point.
- Click as many times as is necessary to create a square/triangle/polygon that covers the area you want to highlight.
Each time you click on the map a new invisible 'point' is created, and the polygon will change its shape to accommodate the new point. You can be as specific (many points) or as general (few points) as you need. Each time you click on the map a point will be placed, creating a line between it and the previous point placed. At the time of the third point placement and beyond, point placement will also display a line to the first (initial) point created in addition to the previous point.
- To save the polygon, click Save.
You will see a brief "Saving..." message, and the polygon will be saved and the New Place Mark button will be inactive.
Moving a Polygon
- With the Info icon active, click on the polygon you just created. The info dialog box displays, with Notify, Move, Delete buttons at the top, and basic line information in the body of the dialog box.
- Click the Move button. Your polygon should be highlighted in blue, and the Save, Add, Next, Delete and Cancel buttons should display in the lower right corner.
- Click the Next button. The point that is highlighted (with a white circle) on your polygon should move backwards along the points in your polygon. Each time you click Next, the circle-highlight should move to the next point back in the polygon and will eventually return to the first point you created, then back to the last point you created.
- Follow the steps below to move or change the polygon shape as required.
To modify the shape of the polygon without adding points
- Click the Next button until it is at the point that you want to move in order to change the shape of the polygon.
Then, click on the map at the new location forthe point.
The point will be moved, and the shape of the polygon will change toaccommodate the adjusted point position.
- Click Save. The polygon has been modified and saved.
To add additional points/joints to the to the polygon
- With the Info icon active, click the polygon again, then click Move in the dialog box. The line is highlighted in blue, the Save, Add, Next, Delete, Cancel buttons display lower right corner.
- Click Next until you are at the point/joint the place where you want to ADD a point/joint. If you want to create more of a specific bend, for example. Note: cycle through the points clicking Next so that you are clear as to where all of the points are. You will want to highlight the point that is BEFORE the place you want to add a point to. The white circle-highlight will be at the point that you want to move.
- Click Add.
- Click the spot on the map that you want the new point to be.
The polygon will have a new point and the overall shape will adjust toaccommodate the new point.
- Click Save. Your polygon has been modified and saved.
To remove points/joints from the the polygon
- With the Info icon active, click the polygon again, then click Move in the dialog box.
The Polygon is highlighted in blue and the Save, Add, Next, Delete and Cancel buttons display lower right corner.
- If you want to remove a whole corner or part of the polygon, for example, click Next until you are at the point/joint that you want to REMOVE. Note: cycle through the points clicking Next so that you are clear as to where all of the points are. You will want to highlight the point you want to remove. The white circle-highlight will be at the point that you want to remove.
- Click Delete (lower right corner). The point will be removed and the overall shape will adjust to accommodate the missing point.
- Click Save. Your polygon has been modified and saved.
To delete an entire polygon
- With the Info icon active, then click ona specific line that you just created. The Info dialog box for that point displays details about that point. In addition, 3 buttons should display: Move, Notify and Delete.
- Click the Delete button. A delete confirmation message displays.
- Click OK to confirm the message. User is returned to the map view, and the polygon should be removed.